Sailor Senshi (often Senshi for short) are individuals who possess a Sailor Crystal that resonates with the energies of their home world. This resonance allows them to tap into energies that are otherwise unavailable to members of their species!
Sailor Senshi are usually female (or the alien equivalent). The vast majority of Senshi access these powers through a subtle spiritual, psychological, and physical transformation that allows them to channel the resonant energies of their home planets to attack and defend. (These manipulations may superficially resemble ki manipulation, but they are not--however, their senshi transformation does heighten their ability to manipulate ki energy should they choose to attempt the discipline). The transformation also usually replaces the Senshi's clothing with a sort of uniform, and many of these uniforms also double as powerful physical armor. Terran Senshi also demonstrate heightened healing capacities, regardless of their state of transformation.
Due to the fact that Sailor Crystals are not recycled and re-energized in the fuel of the planet's spiritual fire, many Senshi will spend multiple lives in the orbit of their home world. The power and knowledge of these past lives can be accessed, in some rare cases--but the personae that reside within these strong souls are powerful, and can overwhelm and overwrite the current personality without precaution (harkening to the Bene Gesserit threat of Abomination).
The power of a Sailor Senshi varies from sailor crystal to sailor crystal. Even in their transformed states, some Senshi are only capable of "mere" superhuman feats of athleticism. On other worlds, the Senshi possess a truly monstrous strength beyond the ken of their unempowered fellows, and rule as goddesses...or exist as unstoppable forces of nature.
Given that Senshi are also likely to have Senshi children, many worlds with active and sufficiently powerful Senshi are ruled by a hereditary line of the same. Before the advent of Queen Beryl and the Metallia Force, the Sol system was one such empire--several worlds, each hosting their own planetary line, under the guidance of the Seleno, Selenity, and Serenity lines.
- Most Senshi's dominant hand / things like ticklishness doesn't change when they transform, but for 5% of those studied who have spent extended time transformed (years at a time or a large portion of each day) it does to match the handedness of the person they are "channeling" / blended with as their body is more "dominated" by that personality.
- Senshi can get sick when transformed just like anyone else, but they recover faster.
- Senshi can be forcibly de-transformed if their magical item is taken from them so the planetaryenergy can no longer be focused on them (unless they are strong enough to not need it), or their connection to the planet powering them is interrupted / severed.
- When transformed Senshi bodies seem to have a physical "memory" of their own - wounds taken in battle vanish on detransforming though the host may feel aches and pains later, and items taken in - like bullets, food, etc - tend to vanish as well. Injuries sustained before transforming like sprained ankles etc will heal for the duration of the transformation. Scars or wounds taken in battle rarely linger (but sometimes do).
- DNA can permanently change if one stays transformed too long. In the short term, things like hair and eye color and fingerprints can change to match the entity one is transforming into. A very rare subset of Senshi actually change species on transforming because the host entity that they are channeling was a different species (now extinct).
Sakura Xadium Aino's ruminations on the topic:
"Most people, I think, would assume that the choice to call forth an energy which enables one to heal ten times faster from severe wounds, to leap twenty to thirty meters in a single bound, and to have enough strength to smash a brick wall with one's bare fist would be a simple one. Who wouldn't want that kind of strength, after all? Not to mention that it extends life and keeps one looking more or less eternally youthful and fit.
But what would those people do with the power, I wonder? What would the average man do with superhuman power? Use it to help, use it to engage in predatory conduct for his own gross ends, or use it not at all, simply choosing to use the gift of longer life to prolong his soporific, comfortable existence?
Nothing comes without a price. For people like my mother, whose powers were an inherited legacy from a time long past, the price was a kind of psychological contamination. The personalities of the warriors whose strength she borrowed could, if the power was used long enough, dominate and overwrite her own. There were times, under prolonged stress, that she almost lost herself, becoming the literal avatar of lives past. I myself would have no such problem, as the wellspring of energy I would draw from would be "blank", so to speak. Indeed, my persona would become the stamp which would define its characteristics-- should I choose to use it.
But to become that kind of force means to lose yourself to it, to give over something of yourself that you cannot reclaim. The energies that fueled the transformation also, much in the way that exposure to radiation can mutate cell matter, changed the cells in the body of their wielder. Use it for too long, and your body changes forever-- becomes used to the power, needs it-- like a drug. The person you were before literally will have ceased to have been. Stepping in that river fully means never being able to come out again. That is, if you go too far."
- 1 Sol System Senshi
- 2 Star Based Senshi
- 3 Senshi of Other Systems
- 4 Other Senshi
- 5 Status Unknown
Sol System Senshi
Planetary and Dwarf Planetary Senshi (as indicated by ≈)
(Ordered by their planet's position outwards from the Sun)
Sailor Mercury, Sailor Venus, Tuxedo Kamen (not a Senshi, but bears a Sailor Crystal), Sailor Terra, Sailor Moon (not a planet, but classed on that "level"), Sailor Astarte, Sailor Mars, Sailor Ceres≈, Sailor Eden, Sailor Jupiter, Sailor Saturn, Sailor Uranus, Sailor Neptune, Sailor Pluto/Sailor 134340≈, Sailor Quinox, Sailor Haumea≈, Sailor Salacia≈ Sailor Makemake≈, Sailor Nemesis, and Sailor Eris≈
Sailor Adrastea, Sailor Aeolus, Sailor Amalthea, Sailor Ariel, Sailor Callisto, Sailor Carme, Sailor Charon, Sailor Dysnomia, Sailor Enceladus, Sailor Europa, Sailor Ganymede, Sailor Hyperion, Sailor Iapetus, Sailor Io, Sailor Kallichore, Sailor Larissa, Sailor Magellan, Sailor Metis, Sailor Mimas, Sailor Miranda, Sailor Narvi, Sailor Puck, Sailor Rhea, Sailor Tarvos, Sailor Telesto, Sailor Tempus (AU), Sailor Titan, Sailor Thebe, Sailor Triton, Sailor Umbriel, Sailor Zephrius ((Please see Satellite Senshi for the list in its entirety.))
Asteroid & Kuiper Belt Senshi
Star Based Senshi
Senshi of Other Systems
Anima and Taro System Senshi
Sailor Aluminum Siren, Sailor Heavy Metal Papillion, Sailor Iron Mouse, Sailor Lead Crow, Sailor Pewter Fox, Sailor Plantinum Banshee, Sailor Steel Serpent, Sailor Stone Golem, Sailor Tin Nyanko, Sailor Titanium Kerroko
Sailor Kakyuu, Sailor Star Baker, Sailor Star Fighter, Sailor Star Healer, Sailor Star Maker